Thursday, October 3, 2013

Mahabharat

Mahabharat always fascinated me. I used to be all ears when my grandparents / uncles / aunties used to narrate incidents /stories or quote something from the great epic. I never missed any episode of  Mahabharat  serial produced by BR Chopra. Mahabharat is the most comprehensive epic ever. It is 10 times of the length of Iliad and Odyssey combined.
Sadly, there are hardly any movies based on Mahabharat. Only two movies that I have seen and known are


Kalyug
Directed by Shyam Benegal and produced by Shashi Kapoor


In the movie Mahabharat setting changes to corporate world of 80s. Hastinapur changes to factory. Kurukshetra is the boardroom of the company where cousins make strategies to usurp other group and take control. Shashi Kapoor as Karna, Anant Nag as Arjun and Victor Bannerjee as Durgyodhan the film is riveting and though you know the plot it keeps you hooked.




Raajneeti
Directed by Prakash Jha



The setting is the political family and fight is for being the head of the political party. Ajay Devgan as Karna, Manoj Vajpayee as Duryodhan, Ranbir Kapoor as Arjun and Nana Patekar as Krishna everyone makes justice to the role. Film resurrected the career of Manoj Vajpayee. There are many twist and turns that keeps you one edge of your seat.

I would like to see Mahabharat mounted like LOTR. The scale is too huge and probably that avoids any producer making a film based on it. 

Let me know if there is any other film based on Mahabharat that I am not aware of

No comments:

Post a Comment